Our Immediate Goals Include hiring “Helping Hands” companions who will”
- Visit elders in the community and provide companionship and support
- Assist with routine needs and chores
- Light cleaning
- cooking meals
- Running errands
- Personal assistance
- Take walks with the elder
- Help with personal care such as eating or bathroom visits
- Listening and companionship
- Safety and security
- Review any safety concerns in the elder’s home and environment
- Observe any changes in physical and mental health
- Document any criminal or predatory activity experienced by the elder
We also plan to organize a weekly social meeting and advocacy service
Our long-term goals
- Build the first elders’ recreation center in the country in Imo State, Nigeria
- Build partnerships with institutions in the United States who share similar goals.
- Set up services which when fully operational would benefit generations to come.
Putting the plan into motion
- Find and employ qualified Helping Hands companions to assist the elders in the community
- Launch the pilot program in Umuezeaga, an autonomous community in the town of Akokwa. Once operational, this program will become the model for other Elders Helping Hands chapters throughout Nigeria.